Strummin Along To The Tune of Life

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO WHAT A RIDE!"

Sunday, January 22, 2006

And the band began to play......


I was standing outside in the break area at work today, yes.. I was smoking, and no I was not on fire, anyways, I overheard a mother complaining about her son having to take music and how stupid it was and what could it possibly do for him in his future. Well I tell ya, it took everything I had not to speak up and tell her exactly this. I wanted to say:, Let me tell you what music can do for your child. It will teach him how to appreciate one of the blessings God gave to us. Hearing and making a beautiful noise that can express ones deepest feelings. If he decides he likes making music, he can join the band. And yes it does have benefits. When Rain stepped into high school, she was shy, insecure, would cry at the drop of a hat, not outgoing at all. She made friends, that she will have for many years, I don't know what it is, but band kids build a special bond, they never forget each other, there's a strange connection, I know it, I have band friends I have had for 25 yrs! She came out of her shell. She tried out for the colorguard(flag corp) and made it, she was accepted and encourage, she made captain her Junior yr and Sr year, and in all the yrs of the bands colorguard this had only happened one other time. She's outgoing, secure about who she is and determined. I am completely convinced it is because she was in the band. Oh yes, she endured the remarks from some kids, calling her band nerd and so forth, but she stood up to them and told them, "at least I have a life and a cause! When was the last time you accomplished anything for your own self being?" They shut up real quick. I am proud of who she has become, will, mostly let's just say sometimes she's a lil over outspoken! But at least she isn't that teary eyed little girl who was afraid of her own shadow anymore.
So see, it isn't stupid, it isn't useless. It is promising to give your child something to accomplish of his own doing, something to be proud of. It gives him appreciation of some of the finer things in life. It gets him out of the house, lets him make life long frineds, have FUN! I guess some parents think it is easier maintenance to just pop a DVD in the player or a game tape into the playstation and let their kids minds be molded by a computer.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Being in the band helped get you through high school.LOL Now when Little D's Mom says we are turning him into a band geek, I just say we sure are. He is beginning to "tap"on his new drums when he is upstairs.He thinks the BHS drumline is so cool!So this Band Mom says play, sing ,whatever, just make a joyful sound and have fun. Love Mumsy

     
  • At 10:42 PM, Blogger betty said…

    excellent entry! I think taking music is never a waste of time. You are right about band, too.

    betty

     

Post a Comment

<< Home